January 19, 2013

WWE Extreme Rules 2011

Why I bought it: There was a used movie sale at gohastings.com and this ended up costing me $6. Plus, this PPV contains a match that reminds me of why I am a wrestling fan.

Thoughts: This was the second best PPV of 2011, bested only by Money in the Bank. Top the bottom, it is a great card. One thing that struck me odd, however, was that the first match of the night was the Last Man Standing Match between Orton and Punk. I know that WWE likes to space out their big matches, but starting the PPV with such a long, exhausting match sometimes takes the crowd out of it for the rest of the matches on the card. With that being said, every match was so exciting that any match might have done the exact same thing. However, I have a few complaints about this particular set. For one, John Cena is on the cover holding the WWE Championship in celebration. Though I already knew the outcome of the match, there are some kids who might not know it. When I was a kid, I saw all my WWE PPVs a few years after they were released at Blockbuster video. Also, the fact that John Cena vs. The Miz vs. John Morrison was the main event instead of Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio is a joke. On one hand, you have one man fighting for his first World Heavyweight Championship in13 years in the WWE and on the other hand you have a man fighting for what is probably his 13th Championship. On one hand you have a man fighting in honor of his legend of a best friend and emotions are riding high, and on the other hand, you have John Cena vs. The Miz vs. John Morrison which has pretty much no build (considering R-Truth was the number 1 contender up until a week before this match took place) and no emotion to go with it. Being able to relive Christian's moment in the spotlight is still surreal for me. To see the genuine emotion in his face and Edge's was a real treat and it reminds me of why I watch wrestling. Fake or not, Christian spent his life dreaming of this moment and it finally happened. Fuck WWE for taking it away from him two days later.

Should I have bought it: Yes. It has one of the few matches I can watch whenever I need to be reminded of why I watch wrestling. For those of you curious at home, some others are Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels on the 12/29/03 edition of Raw and Shawn Michaels vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania 26 (retirement match).

No comments:

Post a Comment