January 25, 2013

Final Fantasy IV


The final credits of this are still rolling but I am sure that the final hour count will be up near 55. This game was hard. I needed to use walk-throughs a couple times just to progress. That being said it was a lot of fun... well most of the time. I enjoyed this game right up until the end. The last dungeon was impossibly hard. I died like 10 times just trying to get to the only save point. I tried leveling up and even when I was at a level I was assured would be good to progress I got slaughtered. Eventually Sween told me I could get a charm that would disable the random encounters but not the boss battles or booby trapped chests. This made a huge difference and I was finally able to make it to the final boss with the three different cut scenes. I didn't stand a chance. I leveled up some more and went back in. Still I got crushed. I looked up a strategy online and tried that, still no help. I tried three more times and had the same result each time. I levelled up a bunch more (to an average of level 85-90) and still died. Now I am thinking "WTF else can I do? " I decide to check my inventory to see if there were any items I may have overlooked. I stumble upon an "Elixer" I had never used. I had only used hi potions and such when I needed healing and Ether when I needed MP. So I start the battle one more time, having to go through the 3 cut scenes for the umpteenth time, and this time I use the Elixer as well as everything else I had been doing and I just barely defeat the final boss. Three of my characters had less then 5 Hp left. When the final boss did that flashing thing they do before they die I literally  jumped for joy. Looking back there were a bunch of augments I wish I had given to different characters and peeking at the walkthrough there are a bunch of augments I was near to and never got. That may be why it was so hard in the end, or maybe I was stupid. Who knows?

1 comment:

  1. Tonight we are going to fire up my copy of this game and see what the hell level I was when I beat it. Something about struggling at level 85 doesn't add up. Glad you finally beat it though, and it's too bad it was tarnished at the end by a suddenly impossible difficulty curve.

    ReplyDelete