January 29, 2013

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Hey guys. This is my first post. Keith pushed me to contribute by saying there is some goal you are trying to reach this month. I am sure someone else has already reviewed this book, but it is the book I just finished.

Why did I pick up this book?

After a nice visit to Keith's grandparents , they sent me home with two of the three Stieg Larsson books. Unfortunately, they did not give me the Dragon Tattoo, which was the first book. In order to start reading the ones they lent me, I had to buy the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Did I like it?

Oh did I. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I like books that move fast. I can do without five page descriptions about how leaves turn. I like books that are to the point, have good character development shown through action, keep you on your toes and have good dialogue.

This book brings together a 40 something reporter and a 20 something computer hacker/punk to solve a murder mystery and have sex. What differentiates it from other murder mysteries, is the subplots that go on in addition to the main mystery. Larsson spends the first 100 pages or so introducing us to the main characters, developing them, showing us where they came from, who they are, what problems are going on in their lives. By the time the two characters even meet, we know them well. Then, he actually takes the last 100 pages or so to tie out those subplots. There is a lot going on in this book beyond the murder mystery. It actually really isn't entirely about solving the mystery. It's more about can these characters get themselves out of the slump they're both in and triumph.

There are some dark moments in this book and I'll admit I had trouble reading them. But Larsson did a good job at not making that the focus of the story. He puts it in there when the scene needs it, but doesn't overdo it.

Overall I thought it was a really great book with enough complexity to keep me interested, but not overdone. I reccommend.

2 comments:

  1. WELCOME DANIELLE. Please don't leave us in four days when the month ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't! I actually enjoy reading/contributing to these blogs. Gives me some nice breaks at work. I'm working on a couple books right now, so I'll get those reviews up once i'm done.

    I also enjoy reading Keith's reviews on crappy movies.

    ReplyDelete