July 26, 2012

Workaholics: Season 2


The second season of Workaholics was actually the first one I saw, since I saw it mostly as it aired last fall before seeing the first season on DVD earlier this year. Fortunately, given the complete lack of continuity the show exhibits, there's no reason any episodes need to be seen in any order at all. In other words, I didn't come out of my second viewing of the second season with a different understanding or appreciation of the show thanks to having seen its first season. At any rate, the show is pretty interesting. It manages to be constantly absurd without ever quite crossing the line into Adult Swim "bizarreness for the sake of bizarreness" territory. The main characters are three idiots full of bad ideas, but none of them is ever completely unbelievable. Even in the episodes that don't really work so well for me, there are too many clever little throw away lines to ever truly dislike an episode. Having said that, I'm amazed by just how hit-or-miss Workaholics tends to be. Some episodes feel burned into my memory like true classics. Others have left no impression on me whatsoever, even after two viewings. I guess when you're watching misguided twenty-somethings doing silly things for silly reasons, you can only handle certain faulty rationales. The show is at its best when it's subverting sitcom tropes, and at its worst when it's just following them. Like I said, it's an interesting show. There's really nothing else like it on TV right now, which might be the most surprising thing about it, given its relatively mundane set-up: three roommates and coworkers get bored and do dumb things. Hey, I enjoy it.

4 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of people say this show is a hit or miss with their audience, but when it comes to all the people I know who have seen it, I haven't heard a negative thing about it. My coworkers at Dish talk to me about this show constantly, so I'm rather surprised I haven't seen more than the few episodes I have seen. I was poking around my Blockbuster @Home queue earlier today and noticed the first season is available to rent, so I definitely made sure to add it to the top of my rental queue. I can tell I'm in for an excellent time, because based on the few episodes I have seen there was never a dull moment! :)

    ReplyDelete