January 11, 2013

Ken Burns' Baseball



I watched this series on Netflix. It's something I have been eyeing for quite a while but the price tag has held me back from making the purchase. I watched a couple episodes last winter and I intended on picking up the rest of the series but I never got around to it. I tried to watch a little bit more last summer but apparently the series is only on Netflix during the off season, which makes sense.

This series is made up of 2 hour long episodes referred to as "innings." Initially, there were only nine episodes or nine innings but that only made it as far as the late eighties and early nineties. The documentary covers the history of all that is baseball from the earliest grumblings of a game being played by kids in the 1800's through all its stages coming into the modern era. It is really remarkable and thorough how far Ken Burns was able to go with the research. A tenth inning, that covered much of the nineties and early two thousands, was later added.

It was funny to watch the early episodes because they would say things like "the Red Sox won the world series in 1918 and they have yet to win another." The second half of the tenth inning focuses on the 2004 world series run. I still remember how heartbreaking the end of the 2003 ALCS was and they showed that in all its glory, ending with Boone's game winning home run. 

The thing I took away from this series, other than the massive amount of history and cool stories, was how much I hate the Yankees. Those assclowns have won so many damn championships and owned so many amazingly unbelievable talented players it just makes me mad. 

The last piece I notices is actually really topical. In the tenth inning Ken Burns really showed that he had no love for the players of the PED era. He was fairly unkind to Bonds and McGwire and Sosa in that episode. He didn't come right out and say it in the episode but this very week after the Hall of Fame votes came out he said 'Those Motherf---ers Should Suffer.' I thought that was funny but out of character. 



No comments:

Post a Comment