January 22, 2013

Portal


Jeremy convinced me that I needed to get a steam account. I did. Once I had a Steam account I realized that it makes no sense to have one without any games to play. I decided that my interest in the concept of Portal and the fact that it happened to be on sale (something for which I am told that Steam is famous) pushed me to purchase Portal and Portal 2. I beat this game in a little over 4 hours and I loved every minute of game play. There are still some bonus maps I can attempt but I wanted to post with the credits fresh in my mind.

First and foremost I had watched Kyle play a little bit of this game and I know that GlaDos' talking points are great. Unfortunately, I did a little bit of multi tasking and played a lot of this game while simultaneously watching Star Trek movies. I did do chapters 18 and 19 with the sound on and I was not let down. At one point she told me that "nobody likes you and you were adopted so that is funny." There is always the classic "cake is a lie" and "I was going to throw a party and invite your friend Companion Cube." I will definitely replay this game with the sound on.

As far as the game play is concerned this is my first real leap into PC gaming and I was not let down. This game has such a creative and original concept to it that I was intrigued from the moment I heard about it. Simply put there is a portal making gun that you acquire and it allows you to shoot blue portals that connect to orange portals. At first you can only control the blue side and the orange side is fixed. Eventually you are able to control both portals and the possible combinations of entry and exit portals are endless. It takes some real creativity to figure out some of the puzzles and to place the portals at exactly the right spot and to sometimes jump out of the portals at exactly the right height or with the right momentum.

The only part I thought was a little weird was the final boss. I mean, the game would have felt incomplete without some final conquest but it felt a tad out of place considering it was the first and only real "boss" in the game. That being said there is nothing in this game that has dissuaded me from tackling the second one (which I already own). I am thirsty for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment