January 29, 2013

Clerks II


Why I bought it: Because I'm a Kevin Smith fan and I felt the need to own all his movies on Blu-ray.

Thoughts: I love this movie. However, I am pretty biased. Still, Danielle was watching with me and she was laughing so that has to count for something. With that being said, there are a few things that bother me about it. For one, Kevin Smith insists on casting his wife in a large role in this movie. "Mrs. Hicks" is so obviously an untrained actor that it takes me out of the movie at times. Also, the relationship between Rosario Dawson and Brian O'Halloran is a little annoying. But, Randal is as funny as ever. Jay and Silent Bob are funny in their life after rehab. Elias, a Transformers-loving Christian is a great edition to the cast. Although I find this movie funny, this is the first time I found it relatable considering it is about 30-somethings coming to grips with the fact they are growing up. While I'm not in my 30s, I'm certainly fighting the good fight against growing up. Anyway, complaints aside, it's enjoyable.

Should I have bought it: Yes, however I own it on DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray for no apparent reason other than me not being very patient.

2 comments:

  1. Kinda funny how the main character is pushed to the back of the cast on the cover

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I saw this I was annoyed and slightly depressed by the ending. But the second time, I think I'd echo your point on finding it relatable. When I was a high school senior the idea of hitting your thirties and having your "dream job" be running a convenience store just sounded awful, but here I am literally half as far away from 30 (Jesus Christ) and I can see the ending as the personal "true to thyself" victory that it is.

    HAVE YOU HEARD that Kevin Smith intends to make Clerks III?

    And yes, Kevin Smith's wife is a terrible actress. She was in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, too, but at least there she just blended into the background mostly.

    ReplyDelete