August 30, 2010

The Dark Tower

Spoiler alert! Don't read until after the ranks Trev, and Stan, if you're gonna read this at all, this post shouldn't hurt too much because the spoilers are pretty vague. I started up Stephen King's Dark Tower series 4 years ago, and finally it has come to a close. The series finishes with a 1000-page epic, The Dark Tower, in which Roland and his Ka-tet finally reach the tower. But not after suffering a few setbacks- after the events of Song of Susannah, they first have to find eachother. This made for an excellent introduction. The first 200 pages, in which the six members of the ka-tet return to full strength felt just like the writing in the first few books, which most people agree was the stronger part of the series. Awesome way to start it all off. After this came the two main tasks the group needed to complete before making the last journey to the tower- the liberation of the breakers, and a return to Maine to save Stephen King's life. Yeah that's right, we're not done with Stevie yet. The freeing of the breakers makes up most of the action you get in the book, and along the way you get a great backstory of a psychic who lost his way, but a lot of this part could have been trimmed down- it didn't really need 300+ pages. The return of the King, however, was a little more awkward. I mentioned in my review of Song of Susannah that Stephen King handled insterting himself as a character well, and didn't see what the big deal was. Well, here's the big deal. King makes himself a character integral to the plot, and performs quite a lot of self-fellatio along the way. Sure, some people call him a hack and Roland considers him a coward, but that's where the self-deprecation ends. There's all sorts of lines about how King had written just so many stories and how interesting it is that they all tie together with Roland's journey. Nice subtlety, man. Either way, this part doesn't last too long, and after a few more short episodes (Dandelo being my personal favorite) we finally get to the big finale... with a grand total of 30 pages left in the book. The showdown at the tower is a little underwhelming, sure, but the way it all played out at least felt appropriate. There's an epilogue that's well worth a read, and then a coda before which King advises you not to read it, the ending would probably spoil what you just read. So guess what- I didn't read it! I was very happy with the ending as it was, and had the coda-ending sorta spoiled for me before, so I just stayed away from it. So yeah, while it dragged at parts and certainly didn't need to be 1000+ pages, the book was a great cap to the series. I still feel like if King had put 5 years or so in between writing the books like he did with the first few, we'd have a much better series. Some of the ideas in books 5-7 were really good, but just got bogged down with too much unneccesary crap. And now, for no other reason than to start some DT discussion, here's my Rankems for the entire series!

1. Wizard and Glass
2. The Waste Lands
3. The Drawing of the Three
4. The Dark Tower
5. Wolves of the Calla
6. The Gunslinger
7. Song of Susannah

I probably have Wizard and Glass and The Dark Tower rated higher than most, and The Gunslinger ranked lower, based on opinions I've heard. But The Gunslinger bored me and the series really didn't pick up until just after it. Wizard and Glass was helped much by the fact that I knew it was a long flashback beforehand, so I was ready for the tale to take a break and just enjoy Roland's backstory. It got a little too melodramatic for most, it seems, but I thought it also had the best gunfight in the entire series, as well as the pre-flashback amazing conclusion to Blaine the Mono. And probably everyone agrees that Song of Susannah was the worst. Yeah we get it Mia, you're having a chap. Ugh. Marissa and soon enough Trev, gimme your ranks!

3 comments:

  1. Woah, woah woah... now I've skipped through the whole post to avoid the any spoilers, but your rankings caught my eye. W&G at number 1. Seriously? I'll give it to you that it was a decent story, but - by far - there are other books that surpass it. (Drawing of the Three was amazing.)

    My biggest grudge against it really stems from the fact that I don't feel W&G contributes anything towards the BIG story. I want to keep following our heroes on the quest to save the universe, not spend 600 pages hearing about Roland's youth from a story within a story. I'll hold my final opinion once I finish the entire series to see if the information presented in this book comes back in a vital way, but (according to Marissa) it doesn't.

    So BOO to your rankings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trev, consider my high ranking of Wizard and Glass not as a slight to Drawing or Waste Lands, but as an affirmation that I enjoyed it just as much as the fan favorites of the series. I agree with you that it doesn't have a huge impact on the main story, but I'd argue the same could be said about plenty of the other parts of the series- the time in Calla Bryn Sturgis sort of comes back in Book 7, but seemed largely unncessary; most of Callahan's backstory; a large chunk of Song of Susannah; Hell, what was the purpose of the Tull scene in The Gunslinger other than to show that Roland was a badass? I mean, that was just a flashback as well.

    As far as what it had to do with the rest of the series, I think there's three main things to consider here: First, everyone's curious about the thinny they encounter after crashing Blain, so it makes sense for Roland to tell the tale then. Second, to me it was a great explanation for some of the questions of the series- why is Roland such a cold-blooded killer, and what made him decide to start his journey to the dark tower? Finally, the Lud/Blain action at the end of the Wastelands was the first time that the entire ka-tet was together and faced life-threatening circumstances, so he figured now would be a good time to tell his crew "bad things happen to the people I care about, so back out now if you want." I don't know, maybe those weren't reason enough for you to be interested in the backstory, but that was enough for me.

    Anyway, I was interested in how other people rank the series, and found some really awful ones:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081107060248AA9NmAB
    Both of the finished lists here have Dark Tower first and Wastelands last, which is just embarrassing. Wastelands, Drawing, and Wizard and Glass to me were on a whole other level than the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hokay,

    1. Wastelands
    2. Drawing of the Three
    3. Dark Tower
    4. Wizard and Glass
    5. Wolves of the Calla
    6. Songs of Susannah
    7. Gunslinger

    I think those are my ratings. I really really didn't enjoy Gunslinger and probably wouldn't have continued reading the series had Sweeney not assured me the rest was much better. It was SO slow. I didn't think Songs of Susannah was awful. Just not as good as the rest. Wolves of the Calla was just a bit too long and drawn out. I genuinely enjoyed all of the rest of them, especially the Wastelands as you can see. But the top four were all very close.

    ReplyDelete