January 21, 2013

Futurama: Volume 7


Two years ago, when I made a post on the fifth DVD volume of Futurama episodes, I said this: "...perhaps the greatest Futurama season yet... you've got yourself an excellent batch of episodes that could only be brought to you by Futurama." Last year, regarding the sixth volume, I said this: "...I didn't completely love this series of thirteen episodes that aired last summer... an overall lack of what I considered to be truly great episodes in this past season." Sadly, the show's deterioration is now nearly complete, as this seventh volume contained just some of the worst Futurama episodes yet. It's not clear to me yet why I didn't care for a single one of these, but I didn't. I didn't last year when I watched them on TV, and I didn't this past week when I watched them on DVD. Shows tend to get shittier as they get older; this is a fact, and one I can widely accept. Still, it feels especially disappointing in the case of Futurama, a show that fought tooth and nail just to get back on the air after a seven-year absence. There's one more set of thirteen episodes set to air this summer, and any further renewal seems uncertain at this point. I'll say this - based on the way things have gone lately, I wouldn't even want Futurama to be renewed for additional episodes. Of course, what I really want is for this upcoming set of thirteen to impress me enough that I'd once again be wanting more Futurama episodes.

By the way, I know some of you reading this are regular Futurama viewers. Am I wrong in picking up on this show's substantial decline of late? Or have you noticed it too? If everyone else out there likes this season of Futurama as much as older ones, then clearly the problem must be my own taste in the show changing. I'm curious. Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment