January 7, 2013

Alien 3


This is gonna sound weird, but this is my favorite of the three so far. Though I think it was a huge misstep to just kill Newt at the beginning of this movie, I understand the decision. The screenwriter obviously wanted it to take place after a crash landing and there was no real way to get around the fact that if Newt survived, she would look identical to her 12-year old self despite the actor playing her now being 18. Anyway, I loved the fact that this movie took place in a prison in which all of the prisoners found God. Though that idea was never fully fleshed out, it still was a cool backdrop for another Alien movie. This was called Alien 3 and not Aliens 3 for a reason, as there is just one Alien tormenting the prisoners rather than multiple. In that way, it was a lot like Alien. There was less action and more of a horror film atmosphere than there was in Aliens. Moreover, the performances from Charles S. Dutton and Sigourney Weaver were better than anything I had seen in previous installments. For the first time, I did not hate Ripley and that was enough to make this the best of the bunch in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment