January 10, 2013

The Wire Season 3


I really like this show. I really do. Is it overrated? Probably. Unlike previous seasons, I felt like this season was not without its writing mishaps. Some stories were dropped completely. Others were lazily tied up in the end. It was still a very engaging season judging by how quickly I got through it, but I guess I was hoping that a return to the Barksdale crew would create a season as awesome as season 1, and for me, this season fell short. Still, it was enjoyable and I'd recommend this series to anyone. The one saving grace is that Marissa's favorite character died. After what she said about my favorite character, it was deserved. Anyway, I'm excited to get into season 4.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to me that this season let you down. My first time through the series, this is the one that made me start to pay credence to the "best show of all time" argument. On my re-watch with Marissa, I liked Season 1 a ton more than I initially did. But the thing about The Wire is that fans out there will rank all five seasons in drastically different orders. Even shitty-by-comparison Season 2 is some fans' all time favorite.

    I agree that The Wire is probably overrated, and yet when I stop to ask myself what my favorite show of all time is, I typically answer "The Wire." Out of curiosity, where would you rank it among your all time favorites so far, or is it not even on that leaderboard as of yet? Obviously you haven't finished the show, but once you do I'd be curious where it stands in your all time hierarchy.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Deadwood
    South Park
    The Simpsons (though I don't even watch this anymore)
    Arrested Development
    Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    Game of Thrones
    24
    Sons of Anarchy
    Justified

    Granted, so much of my time is used watching wrestling that I do not watch as many shows as you and it's very biased towards shows I have seen recently because I tend to forget most things I have seen. Just for fun, if I add in nostalgia, my list looks like this:

    The Simpsons
    WCW Monday Nitro
    The X-Files
    Friends
    24
    South Park
    Star Trek: The Next Generation
    Malcolm in the Middle
    Family Matters
    Saved by the Bell





    ReplyDelete