May 9, 2013

Game of Thrones: Season 1


Well, that didn't take long.

I can completely understand why everyone is so damn pumped for the this show. It's addicting as all hell. Love the characters, and love to hate the characters even more - that damn King Joffrey has got to go! Basically the show is just plain fun and I'm so glad that I'm finally running with the bulls. 

With the conclusion of the first season, I can see how the title of the series comes into play. Basically the groundwork is now laid out for battle to control the throne and the country (or whatever the name of that kingdom is called). In fact, that leads me to a my only real hang-up with the show. I have a great deal of confusion when it comes to understanding who's who or where's where. Sween provided a great written introduction into the series for me. When I first read it (prior to seeing episode one) it made no sense. Then, giving it a glance over after wading into the waters a bit, it really helped provide some clarity on what was unfolding. Now, this confusion isn't hampering my enjoying of the show - far from it - but I do come across head-scratching moments every now and them. "Who is this guy again? Have we seen them already? I think so, but... Wait, where are we again?" Bit by bit, this problem does clear up with every episode I devour. Curious, though, if I should be reading the novels to help out further. I'm definitely loving it enough that I think I would enjoy them. However, knowing myself and how preoccupied I've been with other things on my plate, I'll probably never get to them - still looking at this damn Tom Wolfe novel sitting over my sitting over my desk. Curse you comics! You soak up all my free reading time! (Speaking of which, many more comic posts to come.)

Anyways, I'm sure to power through season two much like I did with season one, and what better time to start then when sitting at airports this weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're aboard.

    As the blog's resident Game of Thrones veteran, I can promise you that the books are just fucking fantastic. However, I wouldn't say you need to have read them in order to follow along with all the plots on the show. I say this because I watched the first two seasons, then read the books, then (currently) watched the third season, and none of it ever really went over my head either before or after reading the books. BUT, I did use the Internet (carefully) to remind myself who was who and what was happening as I went along through those first two seasons.

    Basically, just enjoy the ride, books or no books. (But, books. Definitely books.)

    ReplyDelete