March 1, 2012

Mockingjay


With Sweeney posting on this no more than just a week ago, I’ll keep it brief… I really have nothing else to add. These Hunger Games books have always had this thematic split between action/violence/survival and then dwelling on the romantic relationships of an emotionally immature teenage girl. This dichotomy has been pointed numerous times with – what seems – having the men typically complain that they could have done with less emphasis on romantic triangle. I have stood by this as well, but it was never because I don’t relish a good love story; it’s because there was never any progression to it. Katniss’ feelings for Gale and Peeta never seem to mature beyond a simple crush. Certain elements do change, whether it be that their lives are in danger or that they have to keep their cover on a fake marriage, but even through all of this Katniss still remains emotionally stifled. I guess I would have enjoyed seeing a more fulfilling character arc where Katniss finally makes up her mind on what she wants or doesn’t want – I’m aware that in the end so does, but this applies to all aspects of her life. Does she want to fight for the rebels? Does she want to stay with her family? Maybe it’s just because this story is told through the first person, but having to trudge through these inter-monologues can strain on my nerves. But, hey… this is a kid thrown into an extremely adult situation. I suppose there’s little else to expect.


By now it might seem that I’m not too crazy about this book, but it is actually a really entertaining read. All three books are. I’m going to state that the first is my favorite – those games are brutal and damn exciting – but Mockingjay absolutely had its place. I was also a little stunned at how quickly main characters are disposed off. (Although I know this is another book the majority of the bloggers have read, I refrain from mentioning who dies. You’re welcome.) And the ending was fairly bleak; or just real. Always fearing that this story was teetering on the edge of becoming a teenage romance drama, the violence in the war always succeeded in stomping that out.


I’m excited for the films… and will be home during Easter weekend to see them – any takers? I’m also curious as to whether there could be any follow up to the trilogy. Maybe something 15 years down the road. Will Panem have recovered? Will Katniss have healed and moved on with her life? Have a family? Peeta and Gale? Suzanne Collins has already made a butt load of cash with the book sales alone, but after we see it reign supreme in the box office I wonder what kind of incentive that will give to push her to continue the series. I will read it.

3 comments:

  1. So of the five of us, I definitely had the most negative reaction to the book. I can't say who had the most positive one. Actually, let me do some digging and see if there's any general consensus we all can agree upon. Looks like no. That said, I was able to compile a great book jacket "praise for" list. Here we go...

    "...confusion as to what kind of message, if any at all, the author was trying to send with this book..." -Webber

    "...it felt pretty empty and silly..." -Stan

    "...a sloppy ending for a book that could have ended with a pretty dramatic finish..." -Marissa

    "...involved constant planning and scheming without much action..." -Sween

    "...there was never any progression to it..." -Trevor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it looks like Sweeney had the most positive reaction/post. It was toughest to find a negative snippet from his post that wasn't followed up or prefaced by additional context which softens the negativity of his words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...but a small twist at the end made a big impact on the message..." -Sween

    "... it is actually a really entertaining read. All three books are." -Trev

    "...In all honestly though, I heard this book was awful, but I didn't think it was. I even think I prefer it to the second book..." - Marissa

    "...Perhaps I'm being too hard on this book..." -Steve (I couldn't find anything positive)

    "... I will also say that this book takes a good step in the direction away from the first two books..." -Webber

    I CAN SPIN OUR POSTS TOO (kind of)

    PS. I can't wait to see the movie. Let's all go! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete