December 21, 2016

Final Fantasy XV

When the night
has come
 
And the land is dark 
And the moon
is the only
light we'll see
 
No I won't
be afraid
 
Oh I won't
be afraid
 
Just as long
as you stand
stand by me
Oof. Right in the feels.

This was great. Certainly flawed, and definitely downright frustrating at times, with a few design elements that left me shouting at my controller, and they could have told the story a little more clearly (rumor has it some upcoming patches will add important cutscenes for more context), but, yeah, this was great.

I dumped over forty hours into this game - par for the course really, for a Final Fantasy main series installment - but it seemed like half of those hours were spent on optional sidequests. The open-world nature of the game has not been overstated, and you spend so much of it just driving around in the Regalia (your car) on the streets of Eos (the, uh, world) from outpost to outpost.

I have so much more to say about this game and the wide variety of elements they threw into it, and how well it all seems to work without any visible seams, but that can wait until more of you have played it.

And yes, it's better than XIII.

1 comment: