August 10, 2010

Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back


Wow! I watched that movie really quick! For real though, I suck at blogging right when I finish movies so I actually watched this, ummmm, last Friday maybe. I believe everyone likes this movie the best (similar to Lord of the Rings 2), but not me! Don't get me wrong. It was a good movie. It only perpetuated my lovefest with Chewy and R2-D2, but there was something I didn't love about it. Yoda was cool. I liked him more as a goofy dude who was following Luke around though than as a master Jedi trainer. Let's see, Han and crew fly through an asteroid field and then get tricked by Lando. Han is frozen which was interesting. Luke goes after them and saves them all except the frozen Han who is with Boba Fett (whose backpack has jets). I'm really not sure why I didn't like it a ton. Maybe I was too sleepy, or I guess I didn't love the plot. Even the beginning on the ice planet was random.

Good movie though! On a sort of related note, so far I am liking Lord of the Rings better, perhaps because it is more recent, so we will see if I like Star Wars any better with movies 1, 2, and 3.

2 comments:

  1. Not everyone likes The Two Towers best of all the Lord of the Rings movies. In fact, it "only" ranks 30th on IMDb. (Compare to 20th and 13th for Fellowship and Return, respectively). By the way, for comparison's sake, this movie ranks 10th and New Hope is 14th, with Return of the Jedi a distant 103rd. (The new trilogy is entirely outside of the Top 250.)

    I am also disappointed that you did not catch who Boba Fett was until I pointed him out to you. Although in hindsight, I'm not sure if he's even referred to by name until the third movie. So I guess you are forgiven for this one.

    Also consider that a lot of people cite this as their favorite because of the huge twist ending that nobody saw coming. I know the line is a pop culture mainstay now, but imagine being a superfan of the first movie and then learning at the end of the second one that Vader was Luke's father. I mean, talk about mind-blowing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I am mostly going by you and Keith because I know you guys loved it. I can't believe Star Wars is ranked so high. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely good. But what makes them the 10th and 14th best movies of ALL TIME. I'm intrigued to see the next two.

    2. I'm sorry. First of all, I was kind of sleepy watching this movie, and I think Boba Fett was in a little piece I missed. HOWEVER, I don't get it. He plays such a small role in both movies. I know he takes Han and all. But like he barely even talks. Why does everyone love him (besides the song)?

    3. True dat. I learned it from Toy Story.

    ReplyDelete