July 28, 2010

The I.T. Crowd: Series 1 - 3


When scanning through my Netflix account, I came across this show and chose to watch it purely based on the fact it sported a high rating. Never heard of it. Didn’t know any of the actors. And although it claims to be made by the same producer of The Office, I’ve never seen that show either (the British version, of course). I didn’t expect much from this, to say the least.

However, after making it through the first series (only six episodes), I actually found the show relatively funny. The premise is fairly simple: A woman desperately trying to get a job at this wealthy corporation - I have no idea what it is they make/do - ends up lying her way into the spot as the head of the I.T. Department located in the basement of this well-furnished skyscraper. Down there she finds herself in charge of two geeks despite the fact she knows absolutely nothing about computers. So the hilarity ensues.

I can’t really pinpoint what I find so pleasing about this show. The production value is really not that great (It’s Britain, cut them some slack). I don’t really find the acting phenomenal except for the head boss, Denholm, and his son (later, his replacement), Douglas. Denholm seems like carbon copy of Harvey Birdman’s Phil Ken Sebben - without the eye-patch - who’s always over dramatic and spouting gibberish. I suppose the stories are alright. Original plots, funny predicaments. But I have to make this plea: Give the show a chance.

I watched all three series on Netflix only totaling up to 18 episodes. With every series (I think seasons in the U.K. works as series?) the show gets better. By the middle of the second series, Denholm dies (I didn’t ruin anything... believe me, it’s totally random), and his son, Douglas, steps up as his replacement. He’s louder, fatter, and funnier than his father, definitely bumping up the quality of the show.

Now, I’m not saying you need to run out and see this show, but you should definitely run out and see this show. If you’re only going to give it a quick look over, you might just want to skip to the third series.

Give it a shot. I dare ya.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, surprising post. I saw two epsidoes of this on IFC at some point months ago, and I loved them- I remember the girl dating a man who looked like a magician and the two main characters escalating their lies about how much they love soccer. Is it streaming? Steve's got Netflix on our XBox so that would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a "series" in Britain is the same as a "season" in America. I don't know what you'd call the equivalent of an American "series" in Britain. (A collection? A franchise?) I don't doubt that this is an enjoyable show, but like all things British I will turn to the man himself (some call him "PJ") for a final opinion. Also, both of you should check out "Peep Show," another British... collection/franchise. It is unlike anything from America and is much easier to understand (and thus enjoy) than the British Office or Extras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, Sween, it streams from Netflix. But I bet you've already found that out by now considering your post was from two days ago.

    Is there anyway to be alerted to new comments on posts? It would be nice to make prompt responses to other comments, but it's too daunting a task to scroll to the bottom of the screen to check if anyone has in fact left a message.

    THERE'S GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that. And I also don't know a way to get the comments to email to you. But then, I haven't looked very hard. You should look Trev, and start the (T)revolution.

    Also, I'll probably watch this soon, regardless of the fact that Stan tells me to watch other shows all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it's on me to set up an email list. Are you both using your gmail accounts? It seems I can add up to 10 people to be emailed whenever a comment is made on the blog. The only issue? Everyone is emailed whenever anyone comments on anyone's post. I assume that's fine by you guys, but I figured I'd check first before adding you. And Sween - I would expect no less of you than to go forth and watch something someone else has recommended. And then you can tell me to watch it. (Really though, watch Breaking Bad. In addition to this, if you must.)

    ReplyDelete