August 18, 2010

True Blood: Season One


I swear I’m not gay.

OK, so my girlfriend got me roped into this show, and I must say - despite all that I’ve heard it being a “chick” show - I am addicted. (I don’t know what this says about me.) Starting off mid-season three, I’ve been trying to catch up on all the characters and back story so I can be up to par on everything by the time the current season ends. Yeah, it’s over dramatic and the plot is heavily based on futile relationships and pointless sex scenes, but there is a very dark, mysterious element to the whole story that makes it compelling and edgy.

Based on general opinion, I hear the first season is the best. I think Marissa already touched upon this show/season, so I’ll skip the plot and premise, (like you needed an explanation anyways: vampires and humans - as well as a slew of other mythical creatures - all butting heads or getting it on) and get right down to the comments. It’s not the best show I’ve ever seen, but it’s OK. No, scratch that... it’s addicting. Yeah, it’s like a drug, and after every episode you just need to throw on another.

Now, I know you can argue that every TV show is like that - hell, it’s just part of the formula for writing a compelling script. However, True Blood abuses this technique. With about five minutes left to every episode they throw in the huge climatic scene that is cut off just before the ending. Not wanting to dwindle on the cliffhanger, you switch on the next episode and boom... they’ve got you.

The blood, gore, mystery, and murders helps balance out the (what I find to be) boring Twilight-esque romance that plays out through the series; and still keeps me coming back for more. So I encourage men everywhere: Give the show a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Besides... it can’t be any worse than Mad Men. (Boo-ya!)

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm happy you watched this because now maybe other people will watch it with me. I just ordered season 2 on DVD so I will be watching that as soon as it comes.

    I completely agree though! There are completely random sex scenes, which are most times very awkward, but the drama / murder mystery part of it is quite good.

    Who is your favorite character? Do you like Sookie?

    On a side note: Check out the new Rolling Stone cover featuring some True Blood characters. It basically sums up the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gay. No but seriously, of the few shows Marissa watches that I have seen bits and pieces of, I think I have a much better shot at getting into this one than I do Gossip Girl, So You Think You Can Dance, or even the critical darling known as Glee. I know Keith tried to partake a while ago and had difficulty getting past the utterly pointless blood orgy scenes (and who could blame him?) but it sounds like you're making no apologies for the vapid content. And hey, it can't be all that bad. HBO probably ensures high production value and, well, I still watch Entourage for more or less only that reason.

    ReplyDelete