August 17, 2010

Left 4 Dead

Fellow Blogger Trev picked up Left 4 Dead when it first came out in 2008 and brought it over to my house immediately for some co-op action. The premise for the game is simple- 4 survivors during the zombie apocalypse need to shoot their way through hordes of zombies to reach rescue. The game wasn't a typical FPS, though, and featured a large emphasis on teamwork. Stray too far from the team, even on the easier levels, and you're toast. By sticking together you can rescue, revive and heal anyone who needs help, thus fulfilling the "live together or die alone" philosophy. Trev and I pounded through 3 of the 4 campaigns that day, and while I returned to the game for a few minutes now and then, I never finished off the fourth. I attempted to do just that during my January of first-person shooters, but my disc was scratched and I marked the game as 'null', possibly never to be beaten. But give credit to Stan, who provided me with a copy of Left 4 Dead so I could finish the last level, which I just did tonight. Since I only spent about an hour on the game in the last few months, it's hard to write a decent review, so expect a more detailed account when I eventually play last year's sequel- Left 4 Dead 2.

2 comments:

  1. Alright, I get the assist! I don't need to rehash the details of my October post, but this game left kind of a sour taste in my mouth. It forced me to change my control scheme from "Legacy" (left stick turns) to today's standard (left stick strafes). That wasn't a bad thing, but still put a hell of a learning curve on the game. Also, both Keith and I were, well, left "4" dead by our roommate during different missions, and since teamwork is really the whole underlying theme of the game, that also pissed us off a lot. I know I told you to wait for me before playing the sequel, but I'm really not so sure I'll even be getting it at any point in the near future. So unless you want to wait indefinitely and possibly infinitely, I'd say just go on without me. Just like our roommate did to Keith and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eh, I'm in no rush to play 2 yet. Not that the game left me disappointed like it did to you, but there's no immediate need. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete