December 12, 2013

Zelda: A Link Between Worlds


A big thank you to everyone for convincing me to make this purchase. Yes, I went out and snagged a 3DS XL over Thanksgiving weekend. But not just any 3DS XL, mind you... the Zelda edition one -- it comes with a copy of of the latest game in the franchise, A Link Between Words.  

What a great game, and, yet, what a short game. This game is modeled after Zelda's SNES title, A Link to the Past. Basically, it's the same map, but the story is set at some point in the future from the previous game. It's also pretty much the same gameplay as its predecessor in that first you go to the sanctuary then to the castle, see Zelda get kidnapped; then you go get the three pendants that allow you to get the Master Sword; then you go to seven more temples in the alternate world until you can face and defeat Ganon (yes, he's the villain once again). Let's be honest. The Zelda games have never been that innovative. Same tools. Same number of temples. Same villains. Same heroes. This game does offer offer one brand new feature: the 2D mode. Link accidentally gains the ability to become a living painting and travel along walls. There's some fun puzzles that incorporate this new element well. Nothing amazing, but it's fun. 

There are two things I will praise this game highly for. One is the item system. No longer do you need to slowly accumulate weapons as you bounce from one temple to the next. No. Now, you have a friend who will rent/sell you the majority of Link's tools as soon as you need them. Renting them is far cheaper then purchasing them, but if you die with a rented item, you lose it when the game is restarted. However, it was so easy to accumulate rupees in this game that I was able to purchase all the items and then some only halfway through the game. Still, giving players the opportunity to pick up items really early on also allows them the freedom to tackle any temple they want. This means you can progress through the game however you like. It also means you can snag up some challenging heart pieces early on, rather then waiting until you have that extended hookshot or magic rod which you would normally uncover in the last few temples. 

The other thing I'll praise this game for is the soundtrack. Seriously, wear headphones when playing this game. Although there's a lot about 3DS that I like, its speakers are terrible. And with a soundtrack as well designed as this one, you'll really want to savor the wide variety of different tracks they've scored. It will make the game epic as shit especially when you cross over into the dark world. 

The last thing I'll address is just that this game was so damn quick and easy. Yes, I had fun, but it was over before I knew it. And when I mean over, I mean the only thing left for me to uncover in the game was two more heart pieces and an upgrade for the butterfly net that I can't imagine ever being useful. I had all the bottles, all the item upgrades, and was one full heart short from perfect health. On top of all that, I had six thousand rupees just sitting around in my wallet with nothing to spend them on. It's not like I put a shit ton of time in to earn all these perks either. I would say I probably put in less than 20 hours, but I'm not really sure. (I was locked at home sick while playing this game. So, time kind of became non-existent.)

Definitely grab this game if you have access to a 3DS. It's fun and a great installment to the series. Just be aware that the game might be over before you know it. 

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm getting this as soon as there's a reasonable price drop. It's not that I refuse to pay full price for a game I know I'll love, it's just that I've still got such a big backlog!

    By the way, we're 40 posts away from 400 on the year and we've got three weeks to make it happen. Let's do this! Collectively!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First party Nintendo games never drop in price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First party Nintendo games never drop in price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'll never get it for like, $20, barring a crazy sale or something, but I'm sure it'll hit $30. I can't think of a single 3DS game that never dropped to $30 at one point. Maybe Fire Emblem?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's MSRP will never change but stores will have sales on it. You just have to keep watching and will be able to get it for 30 fairly soon. But yeah, even in 2 years this thing will cost 40 regularly. Look at the original New Super Mario Bros on DS. Came out in high school and that thing was still 35 last time I checked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah the MSRP on NSMB is still $35 but it's selling for $25 on Amazon. And NSMB 2 is at $30 despite a $40 MSRP. There's always a sweet spot on Amazon between like 8 months and 2 years after a game's release where it bottoms out in price. But wait too long and the thing becomes sort of rare and out of print and they start charging even more than the original MSRP for it due to its status as a collecter's item of sorts. It's all over the place. For instance here are the current Amazon prices for Metroid (Nintendo first party) games listed as "new" rather than "used."

    Metroid: Other M - $12
    Metroid Prime 3 - $44
    Metroid Prime 2 - $61
    Metroid Prime - $69
    Metroid Fusion - $91
    Metroid: Zero Mission - $109
    Super Metroid - $350
    Metroid II - $500
    Metroid - $600

    Again, I'm not saying Link Between Worlds will ever sniff the lower end of the $20s, let alone $12, but like Keith said it'll be $30 somewhere soon enough.

    Also, if anyone's got some factory sealed Metroid games lying around, GO NUTS.

    ReplyDelete