January 2, 2011

Caddyshack


I think the unfortunate truth of the matter is that most comedies age not like wine, but like milk. This one's more than 30 years old and it seems like everyone I know who is at least that old has only had fond things to say about it. And even still I didn't really have high hopes for this one. Bill Murray, Chevy Chase, and Rodney Dangerfield were heavily involved cast-members and I still had pretty low expectations. And they were more or less lived up to. Don't get me wrong - there were still a good deal of scenes and one-liners that earned a chuckle from someone in the room - but overall this just didn't compare to even the most mediocre of comedies today. I watched it with a few other people earlier tonight. Five of us went in and only three came out awake. Oh well. Next I'll watch a contemporary comedy and I can all but guarantee that it'll be better than this "classic" but forgotten so much sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment