January 23, 2011

Little Big Planet 2


There is no physical way to measure the difference between Little Big Planet and Little Big Planet 2. Mainly because there is no way to measure creativity to begin with, and it's that amount of creativity that was separates the two games. A basic platformer that can let you run, jump and use tools, it really open up in the game with the art style. The story now follows a more defined line, with the Negitivatron destroying Craftworld, and the Alliance recruiting you to help save the world. The quirky creators of the world each have different set of abilities you need to use for their levels. While Lenny Di Vinci's levels are an introduction, showing you the basics of the game; it's Avalon Centerfuge who shows you how to ride mounts and Victoria Von Bathosphere who shows you shooting with the 'Sniper Trifle' (my absolute favorite play of worlds in the whole world.)

Now the story isn't serious, neither is the game. It's light-hearted to the max, and you'd hope a game with childlike appeal would have a much easier game-play to matches the feel. Wrong. This game is a challenge. Not a challenge to beat, but a challenge to not look like an idiot dying every second. I was awarded a badge (in game achievements that doesn't add to your PSN score) for dying 20 times in one level. Plus most levels have a section that can only be completed with two or more people, which takes some really co-ordiated actions, even if everyone is on a mic.

The only thing that gave my heart some sadness was the online community. I was ignored and rejected from multiplayer 90% of the time. The thing that made it better was the 10% that did play with me were not only very nice, but very talented and helped me with tricky parts. This game has given me the best experience on the PS3.

Little Big Planet 2. More Littler, More Bigger, More Planet.

2 comments:

  1. Damn. You weren't lying when you said you had five posts to make.

    I'm glad to hear that LBP2 is awesome, and I'll certainly be logging this one myself at some point. One of my biggest PS3 regrets so far is not taking some time to try making levels on the first LBP, and with all the backlogged games I still have I doubt I'll go for it on this one. But at least I'll see what others have created. And I can't wait. Hopefully Sweeney is done with LBP by the time I want to start LBP2 so that I have someone besides an Internet stranger to co-op with. B-Town, would you be down for the occasional threesome?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, I am down to play the whole game over again. Plus with mic chat, co-operation is much easier.

    ReplyDelete