January 1, 2011

December 2010 Recap

Happy new year! Although we started this blog back in August of 2009, I've only been doing these monthly recaps for a year, so I'll end this one with a big long-term look back at the year and how well I've been doing when it comes to cleaning out that backlog. But first, let's look back at the interesting month of December.

There was a post made right off the bat by the long silent Keith. Then there was nothing for eight full days. Then there were seventeen more posts before Christmas, four additional posts before New Year's Eve, and a furious and mostly-drunken barrage of six more posts on the final day of the month and the year. We were streaky, to say the least, but that seems to always be the case. The 28 total was better than November's, but still rather low by historic measures.

I beat two games, watched eleven movies or TV shows, and read one book, giving me 14 loggings on the month, my highest total since becoming a full-time working man in July. But when it came to the specific goals I set, I did a pretty piss-poor job. Specifically, I said I could do away with a season of Sons of Anarchy, a season of The Wire, the book Ben-Hur, and the games Rock Band 3, Ico, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Of those, only Sons and Rock Band 3 were finished. Oops. And let's not forget that my ultimate goal is to finish off everything I own. December was horrible in that respect, as thanks to Christmas and a bunch of post-Christmas sales, I was a dreadful -46 on the month. Wow! Months and months of logging progress undone in a few days!

Speaking of long term goals, where am I at overall? I've got 34 movies, 29 seasons of television, 37 books, and 71 video games to beat. That means over the course of 2010 I made a net progress of four video games, 18 books, and -30 DVDs (and Blu-Rays). Minus eight overall. Terrible. But there's good news, and the good news is that I'm certainly actively watching, reading, and playing. I logged 56 games this year, and at that pace I could be done logging games by 2012 if only I'd stop buying them. I logged 99 movies and TV seasons, which means I could easily have those done by the end of this year. And I read 57 books, which makes that category another theoretically easy one. The moral here is that I'm not not logging, I'm just replenishing my backlog too frequently. Still, shame on me for having negative progress in 2010. That just ain't what Back-Blogged is all about.

Anyway, let's shoot for 500 posts in 2011! I know we can do it.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, I forgot to set my own goals for January/2011 in general and ask the rest of you to post your goals for January/2011 in general. Here's what I SHOULD be able to get done in the 31-day indoor-friendly month of January:

    FF5
    Ico
    The Wire: Season 2
    Archer: Season 1

    I'll also try to watch a handful of movies and read a few books. I can't promise Ben-Hur this month, but I'll put in work on that one too.

    My 2011 goals are simply to halve my current backlog numbers.

    Anyone else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll beat Majora's Mask and not fall asleep during the Halo Reach campaign

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I'll watch Thunder in Paradise 2 and 3 as well as knucklehead to put to bed all of my dvds.

    ReplyDelete