January 18, 2011

The Doors


Whoops, almost forgot to make a write-up for this movie. I've waited nearly 24 hours to make a post - inexcusable, at least by the standards of any dedicated blogger. Anyway, for many years now this movie has stood out to me from various shelves and bargain bins at Best Buy, Target, and Wal-Mart. Maybe it's the shiny metallic cover or the double-wide case size, but it just seems like this DVD was constantly beckoning for me to claim it as my own. I never had a set a price point in mind, but when it dropped form ten bucks to seven, and then to six, and then to five, and then to four, and then straight to two-fifty, I finally caved. I'm not upset that I did so, but really, this wasn't a spectacular movie. Basically, for twenty minutes we see a young and somewhat interesting Jim Morrison (played by Val Kilmer "back before he was a big dweeb," as Sweeney noted). And then for almost two hours we see Morrison doing drugs and performing live and having sex. We get it. He's the man. His own death is foreshadowed like a dozen times and when it finally happens it feels incredibly anticlimactic. But I think it was supposed to feel that way. Maybe Oliver Stone meant for me to be thinking, "Oh thank God, he's finally done being a gigantic asshole." Because, you know, the whole movie is just Morrison being a gigantic asshole. On the bright side, there were a lot of Doors songs played all the way through, some multiple times, and it made for some really nice listening material. So the bottom line here is that this flick is one you should probably skip, unless you are a huge Doors fan or someone who enjoys it when rock stars act like enormous douche bags. I happen to know one person who is both of those things, and come to think of it, he really liked this movie.

1 comment:

  1. I'm actually really surprised by myself that I haven't ever seen this movie. If it was that bad I might just skipped it all together.

    ReplyDelete