January 19, 2011

30 Rock: Season 4


Today began like any other weekday. My alarm went off at 7:00 in the morning and I battled the snooze button until sometime between 7:30 and 7:45. I spent some pointless time on the Internet, showered for too long, dressed, and was out the door at 8:45. But there was a wintry mix coming down hard and traffic was nightmarishly slow. I was one exit further up the highway at 9:25. (Forty minutes is typically a long total commute for me. To get just one exit down the highway in that amount of time is downright absurd.) My windows were caked with snow, giving me enormous blind spots. The roads hadn't been plowed at all, and since traffic was stop-and-go, this led to all kinds of slipping issues. Assuming it'd be at least 10:30 before I even got into work at all, and acknowledging that perhaps they'd let us out early anyway since the forecast for the evening was freezing rain, I let out a big old "fuck this shit" and reversed course as soon as I could. So now I'll have to make up eight additional work hours in the near future. That kind of sucks. But you know what doesn't? Finishing an entire season of television in one day off. That's right. In addition to finally beating a video game I've had backlogged for 12 years, I knocked off all 22 episodes of 30 Rock's fourth season. And just to prove how easy it was to do so, let me point out that I also snow-blowed my entire driveway, took care of some financial errands, perused the Internet for apartment-related items, made and ate dinner with my family, played both a board game and a card game with them for an additional few hours, and - oh yeah - played five hours of video games. And made two blog posts. And I didn't even start this wonderfully productive day until 10:00 in the morning or so. Yeah, I realize that it's almost 4:00 in the morning now, and that it's no wonder I have trouble waking up to my 7:00 a.m. alarm, and that I technically skipped work today to do all of this. Quit judging me for it. Point is, I watched an entire year's worth of 30 Rock today, and I never again want to hear a certain someone say that she - sorry, he or she - can't watch more than two episodes of any sitcom at a time. Anyway, the fourth season of 30 Rock was entertaining and enjoyable, but I think the first eight or so episodes were stronger than the backend. I'd put it about on par with The Office these days, even though there are separate things that each show does better than the other. Will this show survive its move to 10:00 p.m. when it resumes in two nights? I don't know, but I also don't really care since Parks and Recreation will return then as well in the cushy 9:30 time slot that 30 Rock held for far too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment