January 17, 2011

Precious


With a day off from work thanks to the late and great Dr. King, I decided I should do my best to recognize the holiday in some way. After getting back from KFC, I remembered that I had just received this movie for Christmas and began to watch it. I really didn't know what to expect, aside from a whole lot of abuse from Mo'Nique's character. I knew it was a movie predominantly about poor and illiterate black women from the inner city; I, a more privileged white man who grew up in the suburbs with a good education, would seem like the polar opposite of this movie's target audience. And yet I wasn't. The movie was great. It wasn't uncomfortable for me to sit through in the least. The direction and camerawork were superb, as was the acting by the entire cast. There were some cringe-worthy moments for sure, but this film was not made with any intent to shock or offend, if you know what I'm saying. Oh, and props to Mariah Carey for doing a great job with a minor role. It's almost impossible to even be able to tell that the actress playing that role is diva extraordinaire Mariah Carey. Well done! This is definitely a movie worthy of the praise and accolades which it received, and the drama and tension feel very real and natural, and never forced for theatre's sake. Ch-check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment