May 20, 2013

Game of Thrones: Season 2


Just plowing my way through these. But at only 10 hour-long episodes a season, this is a fairly easy task to do. 

The second season wrapped up just as well for me as the first (with the foreshadowing of ice-zombies). It's exciting, fun, and watching the alliances form and break makes from some compelling television. Plus the that giant strike on King's Landing in episode nine was epic as fuck. Green fire?! Nuts. 

So, even though I did thoroughly enjoy this season (and the series as a whole) there are still some hang-ups. First is the same problem I had before: the names and places. How many characters are there now? Twelve? Twenty? More? Probably more. That said, even more people are introduced with this season, and while there is a system of checks and balances where as new characters are introduced others are killed off, my head still spins a bit. However, most of this was remedied with some internet sleuthing. The giant list of characters does lead me into my second beef where I felt that some story lines really felt lacking this season. With so many characters, there are many different plot lines to keep track of. Unfortunately, some felt severely underdeveloped. Take Jamie Lannister. Season one ends with his imprisonment. Season two ends just shortly after he's released. (Sorry for the spoiler - for anyone that's concerned - but it's really nothing much.) It has to be said that he's not actually released and sent home. He's just being transported. So his story is still very much in limbo and anti-climatic for someone who was a lead character last season. I also felt Jon Snow's story was a little light as well. These are all minor complaints because, like I said, I still really enjoy the show. Just not enough to satisfy my hunger. 

With season three wrapping up in a few weeks, I'll be all caught up, which is both a blessing and a curse. Sadly, the show will be done for another year. On the other hand, I will finally have a current running, hour-long drama that will fuel some great water-cooler discussion - haven't had this since Lost. Hopefully this show wont end in quite so much disappointment. 

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed season 2, and I mentioned this before, but the two examples you gave of under-developed storylines in season 2 become 2 of the biggest ones in season 3. You'll be satisfied! I'm also finding season 3 the easiest to keep up with, as they've finally eased up on constantly introducing new characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that your biggest (minor) grievances were Jaime and Jon - mine were the culmination of the "Theon at Winterfell" arc and the "Dany in Qarth" arc.

    But yeah, like Sween said, Jon and Jaime - and Ygritte and Brienne, of course - end up having some of the best arcs in Season 3. Dany's story is also much improved. That said, some of Season 2's most prominent players, like Stannis, Robb, and even Tyrion, take a bit of a backseat in Season 3. It's just a big old balancing act, I guess.

    I've told Sween (and everyone else) this multiple times, but... read the books. They're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see being a little disappointed in Theon's story as he just sort of vanishes once Winterfell burns, but the character does cover a lot of ground throughout the season - reconnecting with his family, traveling to Winterfell, betraying the Starks... a lot happens. And as for Khaleesi's story, I would agree with you that things are a little dry until that ending in the season finale. When she has to battle that necromancer-sorcerer, that was satisfying. I think Jamie's lackluster story is, by far, the most disappointing.

    In regards to the books, I did download all five of them to my kindle yesterday. Can't say when I'll get to them, but if I'm still hooked with the show at the end of season three as I am now then I might just dig into them to keep the journey alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just say at this point in Season 3 nobody doesn't love Jaime. And considering that he kicked off the series by attempting to murder a child, that's really something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And yeah, Theon's story itself was one of Season 2's highlights for me. The conclusion to it just felt rushed and sloppy. Who was surrounding Winterfell? Why did it burn down? Why can't the Stark boys stay there if the Iron Islands guys are no longer a threat? That sort of stuff.

    ReplyDelete