April 27, 2010

House: Season 5


This might be the season where House started to lose me. I watched every episode when it aired and just finished the DVD set. I even paid far more attention to this one than I paid to Prison Break and Heroes earlier this month. What can I say? I liked this season. House is a good show. But five years into any medical drama, things are inevitably going to start getting a bit stale. Actually, I thought some of the episodes made for the most interesting one-episode stories I've seen on the show yet. For instance, in one episode, a gunman takes several patients hostage and demands that House diagnose him. The idea was totally unrealistic, and perhaps a bit of a shark jump for sure, but the result was a thrilling and intriguing episode. At times however, I felt the writing was a bit lackluster and uncreative. Workplace romances abounded this season, often between two people who had no business hooking up at all. And the way they decided to write off one main character when the actor decided to leave the show was downright stupid. That moment, more than any other in the show's history, earned a furrowed brow and shaking head from me. Still, the season ended with a pair of fantastic episodes and included a fair share of mindfuck. Unfortunately, the great finale only made it necessary for Season 6 to start off terribly (no spoilers, but trust me), one of several factors that led me to stop watching House midway through this year. I do look forward to buying the DVD set of Season 6 and giving it a watch, but that's another Back-Blogged post for another time (probably about five months from now). Just ten TV seasons remain backlogged and all of them will be new for me. First up? My return to Seinfeld. I'll check in soon enough with another recap for that show.

No comments:

Post a Comment