April 30, 2010

Pro Evolution Soccer 2010


I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the best sports video games are based on soccer. For a long time, PES has been considered superior to FIFA. However, after playing both FIFA 2010 and PES 2010, I can honestly say that those days are over. I am guessing that those days ended a few years ago, but this is the first year in which I was able to play both FIFA and PES. Compared to FIFA, PES feels broken. For starters, PES calls offsides way too often (say 10 times a half). Although I will not claim to be an offsides expert, I will contend that there is no way that offsides will be called after a goalie makes the save (but fails to catch the ball) and an opposing player heads in the rebound. Also, I'm pretty sure the offside player must be part of the play (a fact that PES continually ignores). Besides offsides, I also have issue with the way PES controls. Whereas I feel like I have complete control over my players in FIFA, I feel like my players in PES just do whatever the fuck they want. The player I am controlling will often just run towards to the ball despite me holding the exact opposite direction on the joystick. Sometimes I don't want to rush the ball. Sometimes I want to position myself for a nice pass from Tim to score a goal. The only positive thing I can say about this game compared to FIFA is that scoring is much more fun and varied. With all that being said, I still thoroughly enjoyed playing it. I played a 34 "fixture" season and will never play it again. The next time I have the urge to play a soccer video, I won't hesitate to pop in FIFA. Now I can move on to playing FIFA South Africa 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment