April 17, 2010

Disturbia

This is one of those recent movies that it seems like nobody loves but everyone's seen. Naturally, when I found it for $5 at T.J. Maxx earlier today, I forked over the Lincoln (plus sales tax) and watched it just a few hours ago. My suspicions were correct - it wasn't a great movie. Of course, that doesn't mean it was a bad one. It was entertaining and suspenseful. Shia LaBeouf was at his Shia-LaBeouf-est, playing an angst-ridden teenager who was equal parts cool and dorky. The plot was far from original, and while I'm unsure of what the name of the original movie or TV episode that had this plot is, I know The Simpsons already did it and I'm pretty sure their version was a homage to another one. So this is at least the third time it's been done, and it's probably even more common than I'm thinking. For those not in the know, the plot I speak of consists of the following: Shia LaBeouf is placed under house arrest (in some versions, someone is house-ridden due to a sickness or injury) and passes the time spying on his neighbors. And one turns out to be a murderer! Shia knows whats up, but every time he calls the police, they end up pissed at him. Eventually, Shia and his friends must stop the murderer themselves - before it's too late! And so forth and so on. The result is a very average movie that never impressed me but never bored me either. I recommend giving it a shot if you catch it on cable some day, but there's really no need to seek this one out.

1 comment:

  1. Tis am homage to Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window (which could easily be an homage to something else), replied Aunt Helga.

    ReplyDelete