April 11, 2010

Heroes: Season 3


Fuck this show. If I only paid ten or twenty percent attention to the Prison Break seasons I recently watched, then I was hovering somewhere under five for the worst season yet from Heroes. I bought this DVD because I'm a completionist who already owns the first two seasons. I'm already doomed to buying Season 4 when it comes out, but at least I haven't already seen that one on TV. Now, I was looking forward to this write-up because I was going to rip into everything wrong about the series, and in particular every flaw and misstep taken this season. But it's late and I'm tired and actually watching the final two episodes until four in the morning has made me flat out pissy. So rather than go off on a tirade, I'm just going to let this whole review posting slip right under the radar. Whatever. I suppose a garbage show deserves a garbage write-up. Don't watch Heroes unless you enjoy getting angry at TV writers. The production value is there, the acting is fine, and even the direction isn't miserably bad. It's the writing that absolutely ruins this show. Story arcs are abandoned without explanations. Characters return from the dead on an annoyingly consistent basis. People change their alliances, goals, and motives without giving any reasons whatsoever. And all kinds of phenomena occur that completely contradict "rules" the show has already set for itself. It just seems like a show that shouldn't be fooling anyone. Lost has been panned by some for being confusing and accused by others of lacking a purpose or direction, but Heroes takes the art of leaving the audience dumbfounded to whole new levels. Just stay as far away from this series as you can and join me in praying for its cancellation.

1 comment: