December 31, 2013

Just Kids


So at one point in time some of my friends tried to start a book club. That was the reason why I read Where'd You Go, BernadaetteThe Language of Flowers; and this book, Just Kids. Just Kids was easily my least favorite of the three books. Just Kids is a memoir by Patti Smith. Perhaps I would have enjoyed the book more if I knew who Patti Smith was. Patti Smith was the lead singer of a punk band called Scandal. She was BFFs with Robert Mapplethorpe, a photographer. They came of age in the '60s and '70s and this book chronicles their journey which includes drugs, art, sexuality, and homelessness. This book won the National Book Award in 2010. It was a well told detailed story, but I just didn't have enough interest in it to consider it an enjoyable book. Here is a picture of Patti Smith taken by Robert Mapplethorpe:

No comments:

Post a Comment