December 4, 2013

Hotline Miami


This was an interesting one. Sween's post on Hotline Miami earlier this year inspired me to give it a good old blind purchase. A mysterious and creepy top-down shoot-em-up set in the late '80s and inspired by the movie Drive? This was a no-brainer. Alas, the game wasn't quite what I expected it to be, and it was also frustrating and eerie to boot. For a number of reasons, I found myself only able to play through two or three levels at a time, often separated by weeks. I hadn't played the game in a few months until tonight, when I beat the entire second half and finally started coming around on it. Hotline Miami may have given me a near heart attack or two from the terrible combination of stress and surprise, and it may not have made any damn sense on the surface, but it was a pretty decent game and I haven't ruled out playing its upcoming sequel. Not the best downloadable game I've played for PS3, but worthy of the five bucks and eight hours I spent on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment