December 15, 2013

The Walking Dead: Season 1 Episode 1


I got the first episode of this "season" for free so I figured it was time to give it a shot. Two things I know about this game: The story deserves all the hype it has gotten and the gameplay was not meant for XBOX 360. It's a point and click adventure and using joysticks to point and click can be frustrating, especially in situations in which you have only a split second to get your cursor on a zombie. I found myself frustrated more than I was hoping to be for a story that I was really enjoying. However, based on the frustrating gameplay, my hope is one day to watch someone else play the last four episodes of this season rather than having to deal with it again. Or, when I one day get a Vita again, I will play it with a touch screen. I guess I should be more specific with the game play. It's a combination of using your cursor to click on items with which you can interact and choosing what to say or do to the other characters. Despite my displeasure with the gameplay, I will say that the choices you make in this game really feel important, no matter how simple. Whether I am choosing to be a bit more secretive with my answer to a question from some other survivor or I'm choosing between two characters to help, I weighed all my choices in my head. Unlike Zelda, in which the dialogue you choose makes no difference, it's clear that this dialogue choice does matter. And it better, because this is pretty much the only trick this game has. Anyway, the story is SO strong that it might be worth a look, but you won't get an ounce of joy out of the gameplay.

2 comments:

  1. This one's definitely on my list of next potential buys- I've hard so many great things, and in my experience Telltale console ports are terrible and their games absolutely have to be played on PC. Apparently Season Two of Walking Dead is currently just starting, and they've got Game of Thrones coming next year, so yeah, that will probably be pretty great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah if you're looking for games that are heavy on dialog trees and choices that actually affect gameplay, while also not being a point and click adventure, that's basically the Mass Effect trilogy's whole appeal. Or BioWare in general, although I haven't played a Dragon Age game or any of their Star Wars rpgs.

    ReplyDelete