December 12, 2013

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 8


If I've had a "thing" here on Back-Blogged these last few months, it's been watching seasons of TV shows. This makes ten straight without a single movie or book. Wow!

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a bit long in the tooth now, but at one point in time I thought it was the funniest show on TV. The weird thing is that I can't really differentiate the early seasons from the recent seasons with any clear cut sense of tone or style. I think the show has slowly and surely grown more outlandish and less plausible, and its characters' quirks far more specific and extreme, but I can't really say that any of the episodes I just watched couldn't have been Season 3 or 4 episodes, for example. Because it's so episodic in nature, without a single story arc I can recall in nine whole years, Always Sunny is tough to judge in season chunks, and is much easier to look at on an episode-by-episode basis. But since I'm not going to break down all ten episodes this season, lets just suffice it to say that they were all pretty solid efforts and none of them really stood out. Maybe that's boring, but fortunately, this show isn't. And like just about everything else, it's better when viewed in large chunks instead of in weekly twenty-two minute installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment