May 6, 2010

The Trumpeter of Krakow

This Newbery winner was pretty much like every other Newbery winner I've bitched about on this blog: short and simple, but still no fun to read. Coming in at 200 pages or so, this 1928 book (yeah, the Newbery was around in 1928 - weird, huh?) is about a Polish family from the 15th century. Or maybe it was about a boy. Or maybe they were all Ukrainian. And maybe it was the 13th century. My mom must have bought this book for me some ten or twelve years ago. And I can't blame her. I was a pretty nerdy kid at the time and thought medieval times were totally cool. But even back then, when I was both a kid and into the subject matter, I still found the book pretty boring. Oh well. The important thing is that yet another Newbery winner has been conquered; soon, my backlog will be free of books aimed at twelve-year-olds. What a day that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment