May 9, 2010

Prince of Persia (1989)

Here's a throwback. I didn't know that this 1989 computer game was an unlockable secret in Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Fortunately, the game takes less than an hour to beat. No, really - if you spend more than an hour playing it, the evil vizier will kill the kidnapped princess. Can you traverse the twelve levels in time to stop him from doing so? With a walkthrough in hand, I sure could. Ultimately, it was nothing fun or memorable. I'm sure the game was a decent one for 1989, but by today's standards it just felt like a struggle not to fuck up when it came to timing jumps. Actually, I take that back; Metroid came out in 1986 and Super Mario Bros. 3 did in 1988, so the bar for great 8-bit platformers had already been set. So even for 1989, it wasn't so great. Oh well. The good news is that Sands of Time is pretty kick-ass so far. I have no idea why they bothered to extend the Prince of Persia franchise by making it, but I'm glad they did so. Expect a post on that game to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment