May 16, 2010

Little Nuggets of Wisdom

I received this book yesterday as a tongue-in-cheek graduation gift. Fortunately, just a few nights ago, I learned who Chuy Bravo was. Up late on the day before graduation but without any DVDs to watch, games to play, or books to read, I turned on the TV to do some channel-surfing. I settled on E!'s The Soup and when it ended, on came a show called Chelsea Lately that I'd never heard of. It was okay. The author of this very book - a Mexican little person - was host Chelsea Handler's assistant. Though I never heard her call him "Little Nugget" in the ten minutes I saw before giving up on the show and drifting off to sleep, it has been made clear in this book that that is indeed Bravo's chief moniker. So there you go. Now, as far as this book itself goes, it made for an enjoyable albeit totally silly read. The premise is that Bravo is offering life lessons and advice on all sorts of topics from dating to fashion to music. Each of these "nuggets" is merely a sentence or three in length and takes up an entire page. It made the 180-page book a very quick read. One page, for instance, merely says, "Never underestimate the power of bacon." I enjoyed the book, however, and although it was short, it's clear that plenty of thought was put into each little nugget of wisdom to make them as humorous as possible. I'm still a little unclear on who actually wrote the book, though. Was it Bravo, who never spoke in the ten minutes I saw of his TV show, and who allegedly can only speak Spanish, and not even very well? Or, was it this "Tom Brunelle" guy mentioned briefly in the bottom lefthand corner of the cover and nowhere else at all? Whoever it was, I enjoyed the sense of humor. But probably not enough to make me go out of my way to watch Chelsea Lately again.

No comments:

Post a Comment