May 29, 2010

Drag Me to Hell

This critically acclaimed horror flick came out last summer and though I always wanted to see it, I never got around to doing so. The movie's PG-13 rating only helped me put it off. So when I found the "unrated" version on DVD a few months ago, I was all over that purchase. Of course, I did not watch it until tonight. And I liked it. It had everything I think a good horror movie should have: a moderately short running time (1:39), a lack of seriousness in its tone (tongue-in-cheek humor abounded), and characters that were easy to empathize with (perhaps too easy; I genuinely felt bad for Allison Lohman's character, all said and done). This movie isn't the contemporary horror-comedy masterpiece that was Cabin Fever, nor is it much like Shaun of the Dead. But it's along those lines. Ditto to 2004's Dawn of the Dead remake. It wasn't a gore-fest like the Saw or Hostel movies, nor was it something that tried to genuinely scare the shit out of the audience. Instead, it tried to provide more laughs than startled gasps and succeeded in doing so. (At least, for me.) I definitely think it's a movie worth seeing once unless you're just not on board with the horror genre at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment