May 19, 2010

Mega Man 6


Whew. Maybe it was the good night's sleep, but I really enjoyed Mega Man 6. Gone are the days of shitty 8-bit graphics for the series. I mean, the graphics here are still 8-bit, but look much better. Each level had a beautifully drawn out background and you could really feel the difference between the stages as you played through them. (The first Mega Man tried to create thematic differences by merely switching up the color palate.) I'm actually really enjoying my journey through the muck and mire of my backlog that is the Mega Man Anniversary Collection. The games are taking me about two hours a pop. I'm not using walkthroughs, either. Just easy mode and a guide that tells me the optimal order to progress through the eight robot masters in each world. I think my favorite improvement to the series this time around was Mega Man's dog, Rush, finally becoming an integrated piece in Mega Man's suit. The robo-assistant has been around since the third game to do things like fling you upwards or provide you with a hoverboard, but this game does away with Rush as a separate entity and lets you smash weak points in structures and use a jet pack instead. Way cool. Sorry, Rush, but I'd much rather have the awesome self-contained abilities than a robot dog. I mean, just check out this game's cover art and try to argue with me! Just two Mega Man games remain (plus another super quick arcade game) and depending on how much I want to do with my day, I could definitely see myself calling this entire compilation finished by tonight. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment