May 22, 2010

The Naked Gun

Here's one that took a while for me to get through. I actually started this movie back at my college apartment, or in other words, at least a week ago. I got through about ten minutes before falling asleep. The same thing happened on multiple other nights before I finally finished the film this morning. It was an extremely silly movie, much like I expected it to be. After all, it's made by the Zucker-Abrahams-Zucker team (the guys behind such films as Airplane!, Hot Shots!, and BASEketball) and stars Leslie Nielsen. I think Airplane! was a funnier movie at the end of the day, but that doesn't mean I didn't get a good share of laughs from the absurdity throughout this movie. Worth noting was O.J. Simpson's charismatic performance as Detective Nordberg. It was a minor role, but Simpson played it beautifully. I had no idea the guy was so charismatic and able to maintain celebrity status ten or fifteen years after his playing career ended. No wonder the jury found it hard to convict him of murder. Shame that things turned out the way they did. Anyway, I did enjoy the movie enough to consider watching its two sequels and the brief TV series that spawned it, Police Squad. But I didn't love it to the point where I'd be racing off to see any of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment