June 2, 2010

Seinfeld: Season 8

Thanks to a five-disc DVD player, I was able to watch this entire four-disc set without ever having to get up and change discs. It was awesome. I felt like George Costanza. Anyway, this penultimate season of America's favorite sitcom was supposed to suffer from a drop in quality. With Larry David gone, I was ready for a disappointment. But while there was certainly a noticeable change in the overall format and style of the show, I'm happy to report that it was still just as funny as the seasons that had preceded it. Jerry's opening stand-up bit is gone, replaced instead by an awkward conversation in the midst of everyday life between two of the main cast members as if to drive home Jerry's penchant for observational comedy. Overall, I don't think the quality of the show suffered from the loss of Larry David. I think the one thing in general that I'll take away from Season 8 was the sheer number of brand name guest stars. The last episode alone managed to show off Amanda Peet, Molly Shannon, and Raquel Welch. Others included Debra Messing, David Letterman, Melinda Clarke, Bryan Cranston, Bob Odenkirk, Kristin Davis, Lauren Graham, Lloyd Bridges, Christine Taylor, Ben Stein, Sarah Silverman, Kyle Gass, and Debra Jo Rupp. Even Derek Jeter and Bernie Williams made cameos in one episode. Crazy. I know Seinfeld was big when it aired, but I had no idea it had that kind of pull. Now, only one season stands between me and series completion: the ninth and final one. A quick scouting report shows that I have not yet seen any of the episodes, but I've heard plenty about two particular ones - the "Festivus" episode and the series finale. I'm just hoping for an enjoyable season, and if it's along the lines of Season 8, I'll get just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment