December 9, 2010

Breaking Bad Season 1


So what can I say about Breaking Bad season 1? Well, it’s pretty awesome. Five or six years ago, I didn’t watch much tv. I ‘m trying to think if I actually followed any tv shows while in high school. I watched the Simpson’s sometimes. And the OC. That’s really all I can think of. Then I started driving Tristan to school, and he was like “blab la bla watch Lost!” So I did. And it was pretty awesome, up until, well, it wasn’t. And while Lost was going through it’s phase of patheticness, Breaking Bad came alive. Now I’m at college with Tristan and I hear “bla bla bla watch Breaking Bad”. Then it started winning awards. Then Steve bought it. Then I watched it.

And it’s so good! On so many levels! The general plot line of the show which plays out over the first two episodes is the main character Walt gets lung cancer and wants to support his family so he starts cooking meth. This show does so much more than that. You really get to know the characters. Walt’s struggle with cancer is very real and very emotional. The process of starting to cook meth is entirely foreign to him so he gets a partner, and they experience a lot of crap that comes along with being a drug dealer.

I can’t recommend it enough. The show is good on so many levels. It’s a great drama. It has a very realistic pace, but it is more exciting than, say Mad Men, because there is a more action packed plot (ex dealing drugs). The acting, especially by Walt, is phenomenal, nothing like Walking Dead. I’ve seen 4 seasons of Mad Men, 1.5 of Breaking Bad, and 1 of the Walking Dead. I consider this the best of the three.

Also, I just remembered! Something Breaking Bad likes to do is start the episode with a preview of how that episode or a future episode will end. It’s a great technique. The scenes are usually very different than what you would expect the characters to do. They are usually puzzling. It makes you very excited for the episode.

Every Thursday AMC will be showing an episode of Breaking Bad from start to finish up until Season 4 airs. Watch it! DVR it! Tivo it! Record it with a VHS! I implore you to!

P.S. I posted this less than a week after finishing it. I'm getting better.

2 comments:

  1. Are those episodes going on demand as well? Maybe I'll be able to catch up that way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, a few days late is better than a few weeks late. I'll give you that. Fantastic show though. As far as On Demand goes, I have no idea if they'll be available. But at the moment that's the only way to see Season 3, which has yet to get a DVD release date. Oh and Season 3 is the best one. And Season 2 ain't too shabby either. But you'll both see what I'm saying in due time...

    ReplyDelete