June 5, 2010

Arrested Development Season 3


The third and final season of Arrested Development. Years have gone by and I have spent hours upon hours listening to people tell me that Arrested Development is the greatest show ever. Many occasions spring to mind of Sweeney and co. quoting endlessly episodes of a show I had seen but not chronologically and with no intent of fanatical devotion. So I finally set about watching this show in order from beginning to end. At first I didn't love it and to be honest at some points I was irritated by the repetition of jokes and often overly subtle humor. By season three however I feel the show had finally hit a stride. The first episode of the season sets the pace for what is to come with the additions of the family's newest vehicle, the cabin towing truck (outdoing the previous family vehicle, the stair car from the family jet).

My personal favorite parts of the entire season are those revolving around the shows imminent cancellation. Watching it in hindsight the desperate attempts to get ratings are even funnier. Starting with the announcer blatantly asking viewers to "tell your friends about this show." Eventually coming to an end with a season finale that pulls out all the stops, someone dies, there are 3D scenes, and twist and turns galore.

In the end I feel that they wrapped the series up nicely. The family is no longer in danger of criminal charges. The love between the two cousins who are cousins and then aren't again is left ambiguous, as it should be. Finishing with the subtle hint of a movie possibility so that rumors of a movie can continue to flourish for years to come...

1 comment:

  1. Man, people love pretending this is going to be a movie. But its ending - abrupt as it was - was pretty perfect and fitting. Why ruin that with a movie? Furthermore, how could a movie possibly stay true to the show's penchant for "in" jokes for long-time viewers? Though I am the biggest (or at least the earliest) Arrested Development fan I know, I don't want to see this rumor come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete