June 13, 2010

Final Fantasy IV

It has been over a month since my last beaten game, which has to be a record for me not only since the inception of the Back-Blog, but since my discovery of Backloggery itself. But there is a perfectly good reason for this long delay! Mainly, I've been playing the longest game I have left- Final Fantasy IV. This one clocked in at nearly 39 hours, rivaling Okami for the longest game I've ever played. Maybe that's because I've never played a Final Fantasy game before- the series is notable for its lengthy games, and its most recent incarnation is said to exceed 100 hours in length. Anyway throw that length into the mix with a full time job and all the preparations for my sister's recent wedding, and it's easy to see that this game was not going to be quick. But enough about that. The game exceeded my expectations. It was no Chrono Trigger, but certainly a great point to enter into the series- apparently this was the first plot-heavy game in the franchise. The whole time I played it, I got pretty engrossed in the entire series, looking up other Final Fantasy games and trying to figure out how I would be able to play through them all- apparently I should be able to play all but FF10 and FF12 (no PS2). That's also not counting FF11, the online-only version that seems to be completely unnecessary to play. But they'll have to wait, and probably a while- I just bought a PS3, and thus have a number of new games added to my backlog. Alright, I guess I've barely talked about FF4 itself, but I'm sure you all know what you're going to get when you play one of these games. All I can say is that it was definitely worth my time, so much so that it has me wanting to play the rest of the series. Bring it on, Final Fantasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment