June 21, 2010

Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Volume 7

Jesus Christ. If Family Guy was tough to sit through, Aqua Teen Hunger Force was unbearable. Once again, I know full well what kind of show I'm getting when I watch ATHF, but this season - sorry, volume (once again... why?) - was absolutely and utterly stupid. Irrevocable absurdity isn't a bad thing. It's what made the first season of this show so enjoyable and memorable. But back then, at least the surreal silliness was done for the sake of comedy. The last few seasons, on the other hand, have been absolutely chaotic in their ridiculousness. While ATHF was never about concrete story-telling or by-the-book humor, episodes at least used to almost make sense. There were quotable characters, often voiced by well-known actors and comedians. There was definitive conflict. Now? Episodes are more wild and haphazard than ever, but the humor is totally absent. Some urban legend even says that the creators are intentionally trying to make the show terrible these days in hopes of getting cancelled. That doesn't even sound improbable. To be perfectly honest, there were times when I'd see the credits rolling on the screen after eleven minutes of an episode and be unable, already, to recite even a few "plot points" that had occurred. Sometimes I get tempted to watch this show on TV when new episodes air, but whenever I actually see said new episodes I'm thankful I've kept my distance. So why do I even keep trying? As with Family Guy, all I'm looking to do is maintain the completeness of my television anthologies. I'd be a richer (and smarter) man if I could just drop that habit, but at this point what do I have to lose? Aqua Teen can't last much longer. It just can't. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment