June 20, 2010

Mad Men: Season One

Okay, so technically I didn't watch any DVDs for this posting, and since the first season of AMC's Mad Men was available for free On Demand, I sort of cheated. But whatever. At the rate we're going the Back-Blog needs all the posts it can get, and I never review t.v. shows anyway so here I am doing just that. Mad Men is a show that I know Stan is a fan of and has told me to watch before, but it was my brother who got me into it in the first place by tossing it on one weekend morning. It's a period piece about an advertising firm, Sterling Cooper, in the sixties. It's a blast to watch the employees drink themselves retarded at work and make hilariously inappropriate comments about women while at the same time proving their worth by coming up with brilliant ad campaigns. The show focuses on the firm's best employee, Don Draper, a man who is suave and sophisticated in all the ways you aren't. He always seems to know the right ad campaign for the job, is respected by his coworkers, and has a loving (and very attractive) wife, but he's been hiding a pretty big secret for most of his life and it's just now coming back to bite him in the ass. Unfortunately I watched the episodes somewhat out of order, so I found out the secret much earlier than I should have, but that hardly detracted from my enjoyment- in watching previous episodes I liked all the foreshadowing of what was to come. It's an entertaining, stylish, and surprisingly funny look at ad-men in the sixties, and well worth a watch even if you're not that interested in the subject matter- I know I wasn't, but here I am ready to watch season 2. Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I'm currently watching Season 1 a second time with Marissa, and I have to say, it's been better the second time around. I think now that I know where the story is heading as I watch it, I can appreciate the way it is being told. So I get what you mean about having the "spoiler" happen early on and enjoying the build-up with foresight. Season 4 premieres July 25th so if both you and Marissa can finish Season 3 by then (may take some finesse DVD sharing and lending, but I'm sure it's possible), we could make it this summer's Megan Wants a Millionaire counterpart to Entourage.

    ReplyDelete