December 12, 2011

Slaughterhouse-Five



I do believe I'm the fourth person on this blog to post Vonnegut. This is the first book I have read by him. What I said earlier about Steve and his movie recommendations, I do not echo in his book recommendations. We prefer slightly different styles of books. For instance, Catch 22, his favorite book, I have struggled over and over to get through. The style of writing is too rambling and detailed to draw me in. Unfortunately, I thought Slaughterhouse-Five was very much like this. I do most of my reading before bed, and thus a book has to be pretty enthralling to not put me to sleep. This one took me probably a month total to read in 5-10 page increments. Which, if you have read the book, will understand why that made me enjoy the book even less. It is so hard to remember what was going on in the book when the plot line changes so rapidly. He's a dentist. He's with his wife. He's dead. He's at war. He's in space. It's hard for a girl to keep all this straight. I personally do not love this style of writing. It doesn't draw me in, and it confuses me when I don't read it in large chunks at a time. Steve kept saying just wait until the end, but I didn't think the end got any more exciting. My favorite portions of the books were the times he spent on Tralfamadore. According to them we have something like four addition sexes beside male and female. So it goes.

2 comments: