April 17, 2013

The League: Season 3


Well. So much for doubting my last post would be my last post of Marathon Monday. Little did I know as I was posting about the third season of Eastbound & Down that five miles away the largest act of terrorism on American soil since 9/11 had just taken place. Kind of puts things in perspective. But after an afternoon, evening, and night fraught with tension, confusion, and sadness, the blog goes on. I'm still bothered, upset, angry, shocked - the whole gambit, really - but feeling sorry for the victims and their families is a passive activity (a passivity?); while I can't just put yesterday's tragedy out of my mind, it doesn't do me or anyone else any good to just dwell on it. And that's where simple shit like watching TV comes in. Not as some magical cure-all that offers an escape, but simply as a basic every day activity. Normalcy. And I don't mean that in some "slow-healing recovery process" type of way as much as I just mean, hey, watching DVDs late at night is just something I do, and I'm glad yesterday's events didn't scathe me or my loved ones enough to interrupt that for more than a day. Not because this is what matters, of course; quite the opposite. I'm glad because this doesn't matter, at all, and the fact that I can do it means I was lucky enough, blessed enough, not to be directly affected. If my sister, who was working at the finish line yesterday, was in a hospital tonight recovering from leg amputations, I certainly wouldn't be updating a blog about an FX comedy, is all I'm trying to say here.

Soapbox rant over. I guess it's kind of silly to talk about the third season of The League now. It's just as well; the second season received what must be my shortest post to date, so maybe this just isn't a show that needs much analysis or reflection on this blog. Here are some abbreviated thoughts on it, whatever they're worth. It's a funny show. It benefits from a quick-thinking cast capable of great ad-libbed lines. There is great guest star casting. Some episodes are funnier than others. The show is at its weakest when it tries to introduce new or uncommon phrases or concepts to the audience. Overall it is a pretty solid show, but ti comes with the same ceiling associated with every other cable comedy series that always goes for laughs and never anything more. At this point the show has very little if anything to do with fantasy football.

Good night everyone! Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment