January 13, 2010

The Transporter


I know what you must be thinking. Something like, "Damn does this guy love Jason Statham lately." I couldn't blame you for making such an assumption, as this is the third film I've logged this week starring him, and Snatch was pretty recent as well. But actually, the Crank duo and Transporter trilogy were Christmas gifts; I have inherited, rather than directly sought out, this abundance of Jason Statham. Now, I know this movie was neither a smash hit with critics or with audiences, but several friends of mine swear by the trilogy. So far, I have to say - guys, I'm not impressed. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Crank movies, but Jason Statham just didn't kick nearly as much ass in this as I was hoping he would. Granted, there was still plenty of action and ass-kicking. There just wasn't much that blew me away. A few of the action sequences were pretty cool and Statham was dry and witty as always, but ultimately the whole presentation felt run-of-the-mill and ordinary. In fact, it may have been the most typical PG-13 action movie I've seen. That's not a bad thing, but it sure isn't a good one. Perhaps it's the latter two films in the trilogy that my friends rave about - I'll find out soon enough if those are any good - but as a standalone piece, this movie was an utter disappointment that fell far short of my admittedly high expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment