January 17, 2010

The Hunger Games



I know its been a little while since I have posted so I am glad that I can contribute not one but two entries today. This book I actually had no intention on reading and only ended up reading by accident. I have spent much of the past couple months substitute teaching in the Westford middle schools (Blanchard and Stony Brook) and as a result I have noticed that in both schools many students are reading this book. It caught my interest several weeks ago but I didn't pick it up until I was assigned to a reading class that was almost done with it. Several students asked me if I had read it and I was forced to respond in the negative but now if asked I can answer in the affirmative. I intended on only reading a few pages to get a feel for the book but by the end of a 6 hour school day I was more than halfway through the book. I downloaded and finished it when I got home. The book is written at a middle school level but the substance of the book is, in my opinion, much more adult. The book reminds me of the movie the Condemned mixed with the short story the lottery with some semblance of Harry Potter 4. I loved this book so much that without hesitation I immediately started in on the sequel which, so far, has not had the same charm as the first but I feel that I will finish it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment